I am always looking for ways to make ice cream an acceptable meal replacement. Hamburger ice cream was not a successful experiment for my palate or my thighs. But alas – much like alcohol consumption, sometimes you just have to push through the part where you feel a little queasy and BAM…awesomeness. I made this salad on the second season of Private Chefs of Beverly Hills and to say that I am a genius feels a bit aggressive, but I am having a good self-esteem day so I am just going to have to say it…GENIUS!
Modern Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Ice Cream
- 4 small heads of iceberg lettuce
- 2 cups heirloom tomatoes, diced
- 4 strips of fried bacon
- 1 160z. container of blue cheese
- 1 14oz. container of high quality vanilla ice cream
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1. Begin by combining the blue cheese, vanilla ice cream, brown sugar, and Tabasco and place back into the freezer for at least 2 hours or until frozen.
2. Slice a quarter inch of the bottom of each head lettuce to allow it to sit flat like a bowl.
3. Slice an inch of the top of each head of lettuce and remove the middle lettuce leaves to create a bowl made from the lettuce head.
4. Fill each ‘bowl’ with the blue cheese ice cream, diced tomatoes, and top with one strip of fried bacon. Whisk the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and cracked black pepper in a bowl and drizzle over the top!
This goes nicely with a huge hunk o’ steak!